Thursday, May 28, 2009

spook country.





I just finished reading "Spook Country", a novel by seminal cyberpunk author William Gibson, (pictured above as a younger man.) Did I enjoy it? Well, I was up 'til 3:30 last night reading the last 100 pages.

"Spook Country" is set in what seems to be an alternate, slightly more technologically advanced version of our world, yet one that is still extremely familiar. There are PowerBooks, Volkswagens, and unprotected wi-fi networks (FTW). Of course, there are also virtual reality helmets, locative art installations, and strange Japanese narcotics with funky-sounding names like RIZE. The story follows three separate protagonists, each on mysterious and suspenseful journeys that inevitably converge.

I had previously read Gibson's most well known work, "Neuromancer", (a huge influence on the Matrix; check it out,) and what I admire most about his writing is his ability to craft strange and futuristic worlds that, through the usage of certain familiar aspects, feel wholly real. Some of the technologies at use throughout "Spook Country," seem like they could probably be put on the market tomorrow, while many others are already ubiquitous.

Also, the characters are just so darn COOL. One of our main characters, freelance journalist Hollis Henry, was the former singer for a 90's cult band called The Curfew. In the novel, she is on assignment for Node, a European magazine that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't seem to exist. Another, a Cuban-Chinese twentysomething named Tito, plays the keyboards, wears APC, and constantly listens to his iPod Nano.

This book was a blast. Marvelously written, beautifully paced, and, once again, totally cool. I think I may have to check out the rest of his oeuvre later this summer.

PS: I picked up a few books at Value Village the other day, so expect more lit-related posts as I finish said books. First up: Carl Sagan's "Contact". I was going to take a break from sci-fi, but I got about ten pages in and just couldn't stop. SO GOOD. I enjoyed the movie, hopefully the book is even better.

PPS: Sorry about the total lack of updates this week, I've felt like death over the past few days. Feeling better though, so hopefully that's all behind me.

#0005

2 comments:

  1. I have a friend who will not shut up about Neuromancer. Hahah. Your sketches are really coming along. I need to pick up on my non-sketching drawing abilities. :(

    ReplyDelete